“Your love makes me strong. Your hate makes me Unstoppable” – Cristiano Ronaldo
This delicious dish is absolutely packed with great fibres, carbs and protein, not to mention vitamins and minerals.
You really have got a variety of different flavours and mixes in this dish. What is special about this dish is that it is a perfect carb loader but you are also getting just as much benefits for the other food groups.
Broccoli is a good source of fibre, iron and even calcium, whilst also being a non starch vegetable so does not have any sugar (GI) content. Broccoli is also a cancer fighting food source.
Cheeses such as Feta and Cottage Cheese are great because some of them give you a greater source of protein than meats, in addition to the great deal of calcium that they provide us with.
Courgettes and Leeks also contain numerous good, healthy and important vitamins and minerals and are themselves a zero GI food and non starchy vegetables.
Wholewheat Pasta has an even lower Sugar (GI) content than normal Pasta and is therefore even healthier for Athletes especially, but, also everybody in general.
These factors are important for Athletes as it allows us to be able to back up tough training sessions sooner and revover quicker.
87.5g Sausages ( 285.5 Calories, 22.7g Fat, 3.5g Carbs, 15.9g Protein)
2 tbsp olive oil ( 238.6 Calories, Fat 13.5g, Carbs 0g, 0g Protein)
1 Garlic Clove chopped ( 3 Calories, 0g Fat, 0.9g Carbs, 0.2g Protein)
1/2 tsp chilli flakes ( 1 Calories, 0g Fat, 0.2g Carbs, 0.1g Protein)
400g Tinned Chopped Tomatoes ( 68 Calories, 0.4g Fat, 12g Carbs, 4g Protein)
87.5g Penne ( 160 Calories, 0.7g Fat, 32.5g Carbs, 5.1g Protein)
25g Crumbled Feta ( 396 Calories, 31.9g Fat, 6.1g Carbs, 21.3g Protein)
1 Broccoli ( 25 Calories, 0g Fat, 4g Carbs, 1g Protein)
Green Beans ( 34.1 Calories, 0.2g Fat, 7.7g Carbs, 2g Protein)
1) Cook the Sausages in an Oven Proof dish for 30 minutes. Turning them after 15 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, chop 1 Leek and Courgette thinly in to strips and fry on a medium heat until the leeks are starting to brown and courgettes become little soft.
3) Add 3 crushed Garlic cloves and 1 tsp of Chilli flakes to the vegetables and further cook for few minutes. Add 2 tins of Chopped Tomatoes and then turn off heat until Sausages cooked.
4) Once Sausages are cooked, chop them up in to 1 inch chunks and add them to the sauce with the Broccoli. Bring sauce to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Cook the Wholewheat Pasta for 10 minutes according to pack instructions. After 10 mins, drain Pasta and add to the sauce along with a cup full of water.
6) Simmer on a low heat for a further 5 mins whilst you cook the green beans.
7) Serve up the Pasta accompanied by the Green Beans