“If you are good at something, make it everything” Roger Federer
Last week was #WorldFoodWeek
This is the #VegetarianMoussaka from eat well for less on BBC.
Eating deliciously and extravegently does not need to be expensive.
Educating people how to eat healthily, eat smart and also shop smartly can save people life changing amounts of money; and for some families that can make a huge difference.
The majority of ingredients for this only cost me just over a £10 and for £20 yesterday i got what I needed for all my meals for the next week.
Aubergines provide lots of good fatty acids important for having a healthy mind. They can also help people with type to diabetes. They are high in fibre but low in fat.
410g tin green lentils ( 218 Calories, 1.6g Fat, 29.2g Carbs, 16.2g Protein)
325g potatoes, scrubbed ( 243 Calories, 3g Fat, 54g Carbs, 6g Protein)
1 tsp olive oil ( 123 Calories, 14g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 onion, finely chopped ( 28 Calories, 0g Fat, 7g Carbs, 1g Protein)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ tsp ground cinnamon ( 123.5 Calories, 0.5g Fat, 40.5g Carbs, 2g Protein)
400g tin chopped tomatoes ( 23 Calories, 0g Fat, 4g Carbs, 1g Protein)
1 vegetable stock cube mixed ( 32 Calories, 2g Fat, 3g Carbs, 1g Protein)
½ tsp sea salt
1 large aubergine, thinly sliced ( 25 Calories, 0g Fat, 6g Carbs, 1g Protein)
125g ricotta cheese ( 105 Calories, 7g Fat, 3g Carbs, 8g Protein)
25g mature cheddar cheese, grated ( 125 Calories, 11g Fat, 0g Carbs, 8g Protein)
freshly ground black pepper ( 251 Calories, 3g Fat, 64g Carbs, 10g Protein)
1) Put the chopped potatoes into a saucepan. Once they have been brought to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15–18 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, add the onion and cook for approximately 5–6 minutes until beginning to brown and soften.
3) Add the garlic and cinnamon and cook for a further couple of minutes.
4) Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Fill the tomato tin with water and add to the pan. Do this another two times and add the stock cube
5) Stir the Lentils and their water into the tomato sauce, bringing to the boil and then simmering over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until the lentils are soft.
6) Drain the potatoes and then cut them into slices (keep the skin on).
7) Head and Tail the Aubergine and then thinly slice. Heat a pan on a medium to low heat and then griddle the aubergine in oil until browned and softened.
8) Spoon half the lentil sauce into a medium ovenproof dish then layer half the potatoes and aubergines over the top. Top with the remaining lentils, potatoes and aubergines.
9) Put the ricotta into a small bowl and mix with the the grated cheese. Spoon the mixture over the aubergines and Potatoes to finish the topping. Smooth out with a spoon or fork as much as possible to cover the top.
10) Bake in the pre heated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until heated through and beginning to turn golden brown.
11) Serve with a large handful of Kale or Spinach leaves.