“The difference between the impossible and possible lies in a mans determination”- Tommy Lasorda
I had this dish after a tough training session last night, hill sprints and a 1km time trial with the team after 9 miles before hand.
Eating a medditerranean diet is highly recommended for a reason; there are many, many foods out there which offer sources of protein that maybe people would not be aware.
It is also a much healthier way of eating. Despite not having any meat or fish, there are still huge sources of protein for recovery.
Pasta has huge amounts of protein in it, especially brown wholewheat Pasta, so from the Pasta you are gaining huge amounts of both Carbs and protein for your recovery.
In combination with the Red Lentils, it means this dish is hugely packed with protein perfect for healing the fatigued muscles.
Any form of Pasta or Carb filled meal is perfect for after intense training as we also need to refuel the fatigued brain as well and recover mentally.
The high calorie count of this dish in addition to the relatively high fat content is also important as it is important to refuel the glucose and glycogen stores, not to mention the general energy tank.
100ml Vegetable Stock with Water ( 70 Calories, 6g Fat, 2g Carbs, 2g Protein)
1 Brown Onion; thinly chopped ( 38 Calories, 1g Fat, 8g Carbs, 1g Protein)
3/4 Strips Celery; thinly sliced ( 20 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 0g Protein)
3/4 tbsp Tomato Puree ( 60 Calories, 0g Fat, 12g Carbs, 4g Protein)
400g Tin Chopped Tomatoes ( 47 Calories, 0g Fat, 7g Carbs, 3g Protein)
200g Red Lentils ( 172 Calories, 2g Fat, 20g Carbs, 16g Protein)
175g Wholewheat Spaghetti ( 568 Calories, 4g Fat, 112g Carbs, 22g Protein)
2 tbsp Olive Oil ( 246 Calories, 28g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
2 Garlic cloves ( 10 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1) Fry the Onion and Celery on a medium heat in the Olive Oil until turning a light brown and softened.
2) Add the garlic and the tomato purée and ensure you mix the purée in well until all the vegetables are covered and mixed with the Tomato.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes, red lentils and vegetable stock mix. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-25 minutes until some of the liquid has evaporated and the lentils have softened.
4) With 10 minutes left on the Bolognese, add 175g Wholewheat Spaghetti to a saucepan of boiling water and then bring to the boil.
5) Cook Pasta until Al Dente.
6) Serve Pasta with the Bolognese scooped on top.