“Our Food Should be Our Medicine and Our Medicine should be our Food” – Hippocrates
As it is 🌍 Pasta Day today, here is my take on the classic Italian Carbonara with Mushrooms and topped with chargrilled chicken breast.
– There are 600 shapes of Pasta made throughout the World
– Italians eat approximately 60 pounds of pasta per person per year
– 2.4 million tonnes of Pasta are exported in Europe every year and 76% of this Pasta is Italian.
Pasta is cholesterol and sodium free whilst being high in fibre and energy. Wholewheat Pasta And spaghetti contains even more fibre again. Pasta is also low in saturated fats.
Paremsan Cheese is very good for us as it is made from raw and unpasteurised milk. The process from being made to being on our shelves for purchase is a long one and the cheese is allowed to age for a year before it is sold, therefore killing any harmful bacteria. It is also free of lactose and high in protein and is the most protein rich cheese in the world. Did you know it has a higher protein ration than most meats when measured on a gram to gram basis? Furthermore, it contains loads of essential vitamins and minerals.
The breasts of Chicken are low in fat but high in protein and are also low in sodium. The nutrients found in chicken breasts are also big cancer fighting nutrients and there is 60% niacin just in half a breast. The selenium in chicken also helps our immune system in trying to fight cancer.
175g Wholewheat Spaghetti ( 314 Calories, 2g Fat, 60g Carbs, 10g Protein)
1 tbsp oil ( 120 Calories, 14g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
2 chicken breasts, each cut into four squares ( 141 Calories, 2g Fat, 1g Carbs, 31g Protein)
2 egg yolks ( 134 Calories, 10g Fat, 2g Carbs, 14g Protein)
75ml double cream ( 445 Calories, 48g Fat, 3g Carbs, 2g Protein)
75g Parmesan Cheese ( 273 Calories, 21g Fat, 0g Carbs, 21g Protein)
100g streaky bacon, finely sliced ( 353 Calories, 31g Fat, 0g Carbs, 20g Protein)
1/2 pack Mushrooms ( 16 Calories, 1g Fat, 0g Carbs, 2g Protein)
1) Put the Chicken breasts in a medium frying pan with a tablespoon of the olive oil and cook each side for 5 minutes on a medium to high heat until well browned but not burnt.
2) Once they are cooked, set aside on a plate and cut 4 incisions in the Chicken ready.
3) Put the 175g of Wholewheat Spaghetti in a large saucepan with salted boiling water. Bring to the boil and then boil on a medium heat until al-dente.
4) Meanwhile, cook the Mushrooms and Streaky Bacon together in the oil from the Chicken until they are both cooked and mushrooms beginning to lightly brown.
5) Whilst the Pasta and mushrooms and bacon are cooking, mix the egg yolks, double cream and Parmesan cheese together in a small saucepan and stir until they make the creamy sauce.
6) Once Pasta is ready, drain in a colander and then add the bacon and mushrooms to the saucepan with the pasta.
7) Add the sauce to the pasta and mix thoroughly until all pasta is coated with the delicious sauce.
8) Plate up the Carbonara and serve with the chargrilled chicken breast on top.
9) Set aside some for another day or half the ingredients for one meal.