“Treat your diet like you do your bank account. A good diet is a good investment” – Bethany Frankel
Is there a Greek take on a Shepard’s Pie? If there isn’t then I have just created one and it was absolutely delicious.
I tried Quorn mince for the first time ever too and I have to say I would have it again and it was a very tasty edition. The combination of the mince, aubergine, courgette, onion and carrot gives this dish a truly wonderful range of tastes and flavours.
Furthermore, the mixture of the tinned tomatoes and the beef stock gives an extra bit of tomatoes but beef flavour but without actual meat in it.
If you don’t believe how delicious it was, I truly encourage you to make this yourself. I am not full vegan as I could never give up Cheese for one thing, and I do still eat meat every so often, now and again, but Quorn mince is still very high in protein even though it is not actually beef. And it is also relatively low in fat.
In general, this is a meal that is extremely low in fat but high in protein, especially for my own personal protein requirements for my body weight.
Furthermore, in the aubergine, courgette, onion, carrot and sweet potato, you are not only getting lots of healthy vitamins and minerals, but you are also getting your 5 a day all in one serving.
Sweet Potato is especially good for its potassium, not to mention the high levels of vitamin A.
1 Aubergine ( 16 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 1g Protein)
1/2 Courgette ( 34 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 Small onion ( 38 Calories, 1g Fat, 8g Carbs, 1g Protein)
1 Carrot ( 21 Calories, 0g Fat, 5g Carbs, 1g Protein)
150g Quorn Mince ( 158 Calories, 4g Fat, 6g Fat, 22g Protein)
400g tinned chopped tomatoes ( 23 Calories, 0g Fat, 4g Carbs, 1g Protein)
150ml Beef Stock with water
50g Feta Cheese ( 138 Calories, 11.5g Fat, 0.5g Carbs, 8.5g Protein)
25g mild Cheddar Cheese ( 82 Calories, 8g Fat, 0g Carbs, 6g Protein)
3 medium sized Sweet Potatoes ( 154 Calories, 1g Fat, 32g Carbs, 3g Protein)
1) Pre Heat the oven to gas mark 5 or 6.
2) Peel the Sweet Potatoes and then chop them in to cm chunks. Put them in a saucepan, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn down to a medium heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, Top and tail the aubergine and courgette and finely chop. Finely dice the small brown onion.
4) Fry the Onion, aubergine and courgette together with a tablespoon of olive oil until lightly browning and softening. Set aside on a plate.
5) Cook the Quorn mince in the remaining juices of the oil and after a few minutes add the carrot. Continue cooking for between 8-10 minutes until the mince is thoroughly cooked through but not burning.
6) Once cooked, add the aubergine, courgette and onion in to the wok with the mince and carrot altogether and stir well. Season well.
7) Add the chopped tomatoes, mixing it altogether well. Then add the 150ml of Beef Stock with water and simmer on a low heat for a few minutes.
8) Drain the Sweet Potato in a colander and put back in to the saucepan. Using a little bit of butter and skimmed milk, mash the potato until it has a nice creamy mash texture.
9) Spoon the pie mixture in to a large round pie dish. Spoon all the sweet potato on top, using the back of a spoon to flatten it and smooth it out, so that all the mixture is covered by the topping.
10) Crumble the feta up and using a spoon mix well in a small bowl with the cheddar.
11) Spoon the Cheese mixture on top of the mash and smooth out so whole topping is covered. Place in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes.
12) Serve with medditerranean vegetables and gravy.