“If you criticise people who can dish it out, they can’t take it” – Warren Gatland
After a long run, this is a really good, healthy and very filling Soup, especially good for topping up Iron levels after such an intense run.
With the combination of celery, leek, carrot, potato and spring onion, you are getting your 5 a day in one sitting whilst also taking on vegetables that are incredibly high in iron, but also vitamins.
Green vegetables such as Spring onions, leeks and celery are high in folate and beta carotene, just a couple of good anti-oxidants that our bodies need to be healthy. Folate helps us maintain healthy blood cells and for athletes, this means increased oxygen for our training.
Potatoes also contain good levels of Zinc, all this is important to boost energy levels after training and especially after a long run, as naturally your body feels lethargic and tired after the initial high.
2 Large Maris Piper Potatoes, peeled and chopped in to small squares. ( 81 Calories, 1g Fat, 18g Carbs, 2g Protein)
3 Carrots, finely chopped ( 41 Calories, 0g Fat, 8g Carbs, 0g Protein)
4 Celery sticks, finely chopped ( 10 Calories, 0g Fat, 1g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 Leek, finely chopped ( 23 Calories, 1g Fat, 3g Carbs, 2g Protein)
Bunch of Spring Onions, finely chopped ( 28 Calories, 1g Fat, 3g Carbs, 2g Protein)
400g Tinned Tomatoes ( 84 Calories, 0g Fat, 16g Carbs, 4g Protein)
Handful of Wholewheat Spaghetti ( 145 Calories, 1g Fat, 29g Carbs, 4g Protein)
1 tbsp Olive Oil ( 120 Calories, 14g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1) Fry the spring onion, leek and celery in the oil in a saucepan for approximately 5 minutes on a medium heat.
2) Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and finely chop. Top and tail and then chop the carrot also.
3) Once the green vegetables are beginning to soften, reduce the heat and add the tinned chopped tomatoes and about 250ml of water.
4) Add the potatoes and carrots and bring back to the boil. Then Simmer on a medium heat for about 20 minutes.
5) With 10 minutes left, add the broken Spaghetti and continue simmering until the Spaghetti is al denote in the Soup.
6) Ladle in to bowls and serve with crusty Ciabatta Bread.