“ I never dreamed about Success. I worked for it” – Estee Lauder
Has anyone ever made a Greek or Mediterranean curry before? Well I have just concocted my own and it was absolutely delicious.
This is an ideal meal to have either pre-workout or post workout it does not really matter.
Eating less meat and eating more and more vegetables is certaintly more beneficial in terms of losing fat and becoming leaner as vegetables such as the ones I have used here, and many others, have either zero fat or hardly any at all.
I also added a little cream and it did turn out to be as delicious as any Massala you would have in a restaurant or takeaway, but a lot healthier and certaintly a lot cheaper.
This meal contains all of your five a day in one sitting, and there is nothing more important, whatever you do, whether we are athletes or not, than ensuring you are eating your five a day.
Furthermore, unlike some other foods, vegetables are not only lean without any fat on them but you are getting lots of other added benefits such as Vitamin C, minerals, Vitamin A and a shed load of iron.
Yesterday was also World Cancer Day and even though cancer does not discriminate, eating healthier and eating a more healthy diet and being active certaintly reduces your risks.
2 Small Aubergines, finely chopped ( 20 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 1g Protein)
1 Courgette, finely chopped ( 34 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 Yellow Pepper, De-seeded and finely chopped ( 25 Calories, 0g Fat, 4g Carbs, 1g Protein)
2 Small Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped ( 216 Calories, 1g Fat, 43g Carbs, 5g Protein)
1/2 a Cauliflower ( 34 Calories, 1g Fat, 4g Carbs, 3g Protein)
100g Coriander ( 23 Calories, 1g Fat, 4g Carbs, 2g Protein)
400g Chopped Tomatoes ( 47 Calories, 0g Fat, 7g Carbs, 3g Protein)
75ml Double Cream ( 215 Calories, 25g Fat, 5g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp Garam Massala ( 12 Calories, 6g Fat, 2g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp Ground Coriander ( 0 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp Ground Tumeric ( 20 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
2 tbsp Medium Curry Paste ( 14 Calories, 2g Fat, 4g Carbs, 2g Protein)
100g Wholewheat Brown Rice ( 119 Calories, 1g Fat, 23g Carbs, 3g Protein)
1 tbsp Olive Oil ( 120 Calories, 14g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1) Begin by frying the aubergine and courgette in a wok on a medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until beginning to soften and turn a little brown.
2) Add the yellow pepper and all the spices apart from the Curry powder and continue frying the vegetables for another few minutes.
3) Once all the vegetables have cooked for a while with the spices, add the chopped tomatoes and sweet potato and a little bit of water. A lot of the water will evaporate during simmering anyway.
4) Bring it all to the boil, then simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes.
5) At this time, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the Wholewheat rice and then simmer on a medium heat for approximately 20-25 minutes.
6) Halfway through the simmering of the curry, add the cauliflower, half of the cream and half of the Coriander and continue to cook.
7) With about 5 minutes of cooking time left, add the remaining coriander and cream to the curry.
8) Drain the rice and return to the saucepan.
9) Spoon the rice on to plates, top with the Massala and serve with some bread and butter.