“Nerves are natural, it means your ready to face a Challenge and perform” – Dan Carter
This dish contains an absolutely delicious variety of your five a day, with a generous serving of all of your five a day in here with the carrot, asparagus, onion, peas and lentils.
It is possible to get your required level of protein through eating a lot more vegetables and cutting down on meat. The combination of these five ensures you are still getting 17g of Protein out of this dish as well as a lot of other important benefits.
Lentils are one of the highest protein vegetables that you can eat and even brown rice contains a fair amount of protein.
Asparagus and Rice also contain a fair chunk of iron which is very important for me after the intensity of the last few weeks races and very beneficial in general. It means in this dish you are getting a whole load of carbs to refuel your energy sources and glucose after intense exercise from the rice, but the rice also provides you with a fair amount of protein and iron itself, before taking in to consideration the vegetables.
Frozen peas actually contain some protein themselves and provide us with a decently amount of zinc. Lentils are extremely high in zinc content.
This dish is very tasty and delicious and aside from the waiting time for the rice to cook amongst the vegetables in the microwave, it is a fairly easy and simple recipe to prepare and cook.
At least when it is in the Microwave the hard work of the preperation is done.
125g Brown Wholegrain rice ( 135 Calories, 1g Fat, 29g Carbs, 3g Protein)
1 cup of Frozen Peas ( 50 Calories, 0g Fat, 12g Carbs, 4g Protein)
50g Chopped Carrots ( 20.5 Calories, 0g Fat, 4g Carbs, 0g Protein)
25g Asparagus ( 15 Calories, 1g Fat, 1g Carbs, 2g Protein)
1 brown Onion ( 38 Calories, 1g Fat, 8g Carbs, 1g Protein)
400g Chopped Tomatoes ( 47 Calories, 0g Fat, 7g Carbs, 3g Protein)
50g Tinned Green Lentils ( 37 Calories, 0g Fat, 6.5g Carbs, 4g Protein)
200ml Hot Water
1) Put the boiling water in to a measuring jug. Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well then set aside for a few minutes.
2) Put the peas, carrots, asparagus and onion in a Pyrex dish and mix everything together well.
3) Add the rice, stirring everything together well again until the brown rice is coated in the vegetables and vice versa etc.
4) Add the water and tomato mixture, stirring and mixing everything once again. Put in the microwave and cook in three sets of 9 minutes stints, ensuring that you lift out and stir thoroughly each time.
5) Add the green lentils for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
6) Serve with some delicious garlic bread.