“Food is an important part of a balanced diet” – Fran Lebowitz
This is another delicious dish that you can try.
I made this yesterday after my workout and the flavours were absolutely sublime. The hint of fennel mixing with the Parmesan and then the deliciousness of the rice and stock gives this dish a really tasty flavour.
And also it contains more Spinach, a great iron filled power food.
Your getting a good balance of low sugar content rice, sufficient protein but also tons of vitamins and minerals, not to mention tons of Iron.
100g Spinach ( 29 Calories, 1g Fat, 2g Carbs, 3g Protein)
30g Parsley, finely chopped ( 15 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
125g Brown rice ( 178 Calories, 1g Fat, 37g Carbs, 4g Protein)
1/2 Courgette, sliced ( 10 Calories, 0g Fat, 1g Carbs, 1g Protein)
750ml Vegetable Stock ( 56 Calories, 0g Fat, 12g Carbs, 4g Protein)
Knob of butter ( 35 Calories, 4g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp fennel seeds ( 5 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese ( 25 Calories, 2g Fat, 0g Carbs, 2g Protein)
1) Bring the stock to the boil in a large wok. Add the Spinach leaves and parsley and cook in the stock until they wilt.
2) Once wilted, place a colander under a saucepan and remove the Spinach and Parsley from the stock by tipping in to the colander. The stock will run through in to the saucepan.
3) Tip the stock back in to the wok and add a little more water. Add the brown rice and cook according to packet instructions for 20-25 minutes.
4) Mash the spinach and parsley together quickly and leave aside for a moment.
5) Put the Courgette in a small frying pan ready along with the knob of butter.
6) Once the rice is almost done, put the spinach and parsley back in to the stock with the rice and continue cooking for a few minutes more. But first mash the spinach, parsley and rice all together quickly a little bit and add the tablespoon of Parmesan.
7) Once that is finishing off cooking, quickly fry the Courgette in the knob of butter and with the fennel seeds.
8) Tip the Courgette and fennel seeds in to the wok with the rest of the food. Mix and stir very thoroughly.
9) Serve garnished with a little more Parmesan cheese.