“To be a great champion, you must believe you are the best. If not pretend that you are” – Muhammad Ali
This Jalfrezi was delicious. Chickpeas are not for everybody, not everyone’s cup of tea but if you can bring yourself to love them then they have lots of benefits.
They are high in Carbs and Protein, not to mention iron, and combine this with the potassium from the sweet potato and you have a rather super combination. Perfect after a long run at quite high intensity.
But it is just a really healthy, nutritious dish, full of goodness and really filling and gratifying.
250g Chickpeas ( 306 Calories, 7g Fat, 39g Carbs, 17g Protein)
2 Sweet Potatoes, finely chopped ( 98 Calories, 0g Fat, 21g Carbs, 1g Protein)
1/2 Courgette, finely sliced ( 20 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 2g Protein)
2 Red Chilli’s, deseeded and chopped ( 4 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
400g tin Chopped Tomatoes ( 46 Calories, 1g Fat, 7g Carbs, 2g Protein)
1 tbsp turmeric ( 8 Calories, 0g Fat, 1g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp ground coriander ( 0 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp Garam Massala ( 6 Calories, 3g Fat, 1g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp Harissa ( 15 Calories, 1g Fat, 2g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon ( 6 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 0g Protein)
500ml Vegetables stock ( 42 Calories, 0g Fat, 12g Carbs, 4g Protein)
1) Begin by bringing the Chickpeas to the boil, then simmering, in a saucepan of boiling hot water for about 30 minutes.
2) After 30 minutes, begin frying the red chilli in the spices for about 5 minutes.
3) Add the Sweet Potato, Tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and Chickpeas all in together. Bring to the boil and then simmer for on a medium/high heat for approximately 30 more minutes.
4) With about 5 minutes left, add the sliced Courgette.
5) Serve with a Brown rice or Naan Bread.