“The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing” – Walt Disney
My reaction in the video that I posted of this salad said it all.
This is such a relatively simple salad to make ( I guess a lot of salads are) but I hugely recommend that you give this one a try especially.
It was so tasty. The combination of the different flavours from the shallot, celery, sweet potato gives a incredible different taste senses but the feta cheese as always brings even more flavour to the dish. But make sure you do what I have done and make sure that whilst you want that delicious feta taste, you don’t want it to overpower some of the other flavours from the other ingredients.
When you look at this salad, it screams colour too. Variety of colours and full of iron.
Oh and one more thing. Your getting all your 5 a day in this one sitting too!
2 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and finely sliced ( 77 Calories, 0.5g Fat, 16g Carbs, 1.5g Protein)
100g Kale ( 39 Calories, 1g Fat, 1g Carbs, 3g Protein)
1 Onion shallot, finely diced ( 5 Calories, 0g Fat, 0.5g Carbs, 0.5g Protein)
1 celery stick, finely chopped ( 8 Calories, 0g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1/4 Cucumber, finely chopped ( 9 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 1g Protein)
100g Feta Cheese ( 249 Calories, 21g Fat, 0g Carbs, 15g Protein)
1 tbsp Olive oil ( 123 Calories, 14g Fat, 0g Carbs, 0g Protein)
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180-200C/Gas Mark 5/6.
2) Bring the Sweet Potato to the boil in a saucepan of boiling water. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3) Drain the Sweet Potato in a colander, transfer to a baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes until well roasted. Ensure that when you take them out they are well roasted enough that it won’t break up when you mix it with the rest of the salad, but still slightly soft.
4) Whilst they are roasting, prepare the rest of the salad.
5) Place the kale and onion shallot in a large salad bowl. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and mix well using your hands, softly mixing and encouraging the process of the oil soaking in to the kale and the kale softening a little.
6) Add the Celery and cucumber and mix everything thoroughly.
7) Crumble the Feta cheese over and in to the salad using your hands, then mix thoroughly again.
8) After 15 minutes, add the roasted Sweet Potato to the rest of the salad and mix well again.
9) Season well with salt and pepper and mix one more time before serving.